Tuesday 25 November 2014

THREE La Teinte des Bijouxxx Collection for Holiday 2014




Today I'm excited to showcase THREE's holiday 2014 collection: La Teinte des Bijouxxx. It's a small collection with two sets of Shimmering Color Veil loose pigment trios. The final gift set in the collection is a three piece brush set.


Picture heavy post!



The pigment sets are housed in a simple, sleek but rather mediocre black satin box, though I'm personally happy with the lack of tacky peripherals you often find with the Japanese holiday coffrets (they try very hard to out tackify each other year on year!). The pigment tubs are very basic see through screw cap containers, each containing 0.9g of product. Do note that the net weight of the permanent lineup is 1.7g, almost double that of a single in the set, and that packaging slightly more elaborate. On net weight alone, I think you get a better deal with the permanent line up as it’s almost double the amount, but not more than double the price. However, there is an exclusive shade in each set, so it really comes down to whether you love the LE shades.


The brush set contains three weasel and horse hair brushes; a Blend In Brush Round (LE travel size), a Color Veil Brush SS (LE travel size), and an exclusive Color Veil Brush XM, as well as the exclusive black makeup pouch. They’re all flat paddle type brushes that work well with these pigments. As much as I wanted to take all three sets home, I passed on the brush set since I plan on getting the Nars holiday brush set and maybe one of the MAC ones.


Here’s a closer look at each shade by set, and some stash comparisons. You can also check out a small clip of these sparkling goodies in my IG here. To save my sanity, I've not compared them to pan based powders or liquids, though in hindsight I should have compared with a few of the Etude House Play 101 pencils (reviewed here).




Shimmering Color Veil Bijoux Box 1 contains:
Ice Blink #29 - a soft feathery snowy white with diamante effect micro glitter.
Pink Topaz Gisele #X02 (LE) - a mauve pink with pink, purple and gold micro glitter. The glitters here are the largest flecks in this set.
333 Dreamers #38 - a "deep purple that almost looks gray" with skyblue, purple, pink and silver micro glitter.

Box 1 = bottom row swatch

Even when swatching on the back of my hand, I had difficulty with Ice Blink. It’s either too ‘feathery’ and clumpy or it’s barely there at all. A flat paddle brush doesn’t help, and I have better luck patting it on with fingers. Under good indoor lighting the glitters are very pretty, very fitting to its name. Nonetheless, this one was my least favourite by far.


Pink Topaz Gisele and 333 Dreamers are exquisite. They apply great with a paddle brush and can be blended without disappearing. They are very complimentary to each other, and this set was what used on the model for the promotional pictures.


Some stash comparisons:





a. Ice Blink
b. Dior Fusion Mono in Lune #001
c. RMK Ingenious Cream & Powder Eyes in Silver Gold #01 (LE)
The Dior is much more metallic and silver, while the RMK has pink tones.






a. Pink Topaz Gisele (LE)
b. Chanel Illusion d'Ombre in New Moon #97 (LE)
c. MUFE Aqua Cream in 17
The Chanel has much more gold and silver hues, the MUFE is close in colour very little sparkle effect.







a. 333 Dreamers
b. Chanel Illusion d'Ombre in Diapason #92
c. RMK Ingenious Cream & Powder Eyes in Purple #03 (LE)
d. Armani ETK Silk in #33
e. Armani ETK Silk in #3
No real close comparisons here, 333 Dreamer is much more grey.





Shimmering Color Veil Bijoux Box 2 contains:
Wild is the Wind #33 - a “grace blue that shines like light reflecting on water” with pink and blue micro glitter.
Black Diamond Iris #X03 (LE) - stormy black grey that leans purple with a rainbow of micro glitters.
Shadowland #35 - a “brown color that is reminiscent of cocoa powder” with gold pink and green micro glitters.  

Box 2 = top row swatch

The colours in Set 2 reminds of me this year's Chanel holiday eye palette and I'm far more impressed with these than Chanel's mediocre performer. I don’t really agree with the official description of Shadowland, it’s more of a muted mustard gold to me and I don’t really see the green in there. All three pigments give me spectacular performance, and Shadowland is deceivingly pigmented, so a tiny bit goes a long way.


Some stash comparisons:





a. Wild is the Wind
b. Armani ETK Silk in #10
c. Armani ETK Silk in #35
Both the ETKs are much more silver.





a. Black Diamond Iris (LE)
b. NYX Roll On Shimmer in Onyx #04
c. Armani ETK Silk in #4
d. Dior Fusion Mono in Cosmos #281
e. Dior Fusion Mono in Aventure #081
Black Diamond Iris leans more purple than the other which are grey/black/blue based.





a. Shadowland
b. NYX Roll On Shimmer in Walnut #16
c. NYX Roll On Shimmer in Almond #11
d. MUFE Aqua Cream in #15
Shadowland probably lies in the middle of the two NYXs in terms of colour, and the MUFA is quite close in colour, but has no glitter effect.


The texture of all of them are super super fine and almost wet to the touch. Indeed the main reason I didn't get the more affordable MAC Heirloom pigment sets was because they came with pigments that was purely glitter, and big pieces at that. Would not be very fun with those piece falling into the eyes. Using a paddle brush I am able to get intense colour with all except one of the pigments (Ice Blink), thus it's possible to use these as an eyeliner.


Lasting power is about ten-ish hours on me, after which it starts dulling and the colour fades a bit. There's very minimal fallout, and certainly if I blended a bit under the lower lashes, it more or less 'hides' any fallout. Have not needed to use a primer or spritz my brushes with fixing spray. One observation made trying to hand swatch for photos, they didn't perform as well on the back of my hands, which is quite dry, so those with drier eye lids will want to use something to help adherence.


A note about the NYX Roll Ons, they’re really amazing for the price and in person, they are pretty good dupes of the Color Veils. However, they do tend to fall out, so some type of fixing spray is a must, and they blend away to nothing very easily, so dabbing is my perferred way to apply them.


Below are my first try’s with each set. Look 3 was my failed attempt to recreate the promotional picture, before remembering to check their website for the tutorial (in Japanese only)
Look 1: using Shimmering Color Veil Bijoux Box 2

Black Diamond Iris unblended

Black Diamond Iris blended towards crease, Wild is the Wind blended in inner third, Shadowland blended in socket line and brow bone area

Look 2: using Shimmering Color Veil Bijoux Box 1


Pink Topaz Gisele as blended liner, 333 Dreamers in outer third, Ice Blink in inner corner and brow bone area
Look 3: using Box 1 and Shadowland


PTG unblended

PTG blended upward towards crease into Shadowland, Ice Blink in inner corners and brow area

Other things used:
Mikimoto Essence Liquid Foundation in OC03 or Bobbi Brown Foundation Stick in 2
Chantecaille Compact Makeup in Shell
MUFE Full Cover concealer in #6 for spots
Chantecaille Le Camouflage Stylo in 2 or Diorskin Star concealer in 001 for under eye
THREE Color Veil for Cheeks in Wind Swept Love #16
THREE Flash Performance Eyeliners in Eye Belong #04 (Look 3) & Eye Rock #05 (Look 1)
Shu Uemura Brow Pencil Hard Formula 9 in Seal Brown 02
YSL Gloss Volupte in 106 in Look
Cle de Peau Shimmering Lip Gloss in #1 from the Holiday 2014 lip gloss trio (really regret giving the other two to family, this stuff is like a glossy serum lip balm on my lips)
Can't remember which mascaras were used


Brushes used with pigments:
MUFE #10S (from the older lineup)
Smashbox #15
Smashbox #20


In all honesty, I find the Shimmering Color Veil pigments to be easier to use than their 4D palettes (haven't tried the eyeshadow duos yet though), simply because the pigments worked spectacularly well with whatever random and clean brush I picked up, while the 4D palettes are a little picky with brushes... or it could just be my crappy skills.


All in all, I love both of these sets very much. If you want a more timeless, perhaps safer option, then Set 2 allows for a sparkly take on a classic grey smokey eye. If you want something warmer and slightly more colourful then the coppery purple tones in Set 1 is well worth a look.


Now that I've had a proper introduction into loose pigments, I'm eager for more! Have you tried any?


xx

Noodles :D

12 comments:

saw said...

Oooh love these, wish it would be easier to get hold of for me. Thanks for posting the swatches!

38noodles said...

I'm going to be in Japan from tomorrow till Sat, so let me know if you'd like me to get you anything! I saw your IG picture of the Addiction holiday palette. Hope it's still in stock when I go drool at the counter.

Bellyhead said...

Noodlies, these shimmery things are GORGEOUS! I find loose color very difficult to use (me= dope, nothing product related) so end up never using them. For shimmer lovers, though, my heavens, are these gorgeous looking. And you did some beautiful looks with them. They look very festive and so pretty for the holidays.

Sunny said...

I can't do pigments (I'm too clumsy yet mess-averse), but l dang these are pretty!!! Japanese brands excel at making multi-dimensional shimmer for sure. Thanks for sharing all the swatches and comparisons, girl! The looks you came up with are lovely!

38noodles said...

Thanks Belleh! I used to think I'd never be able to handle loose colour, but I guess these set the bar high, or at least disproved my misconceptions. My previous loose pigment collection was mainly just minimal coloured glitter.

38noodles said...

Thanks Sunny! I was surprised now clean application was, and while they are loose, they're not powdery messy. Yes the the Japanese knowing their beautiful bling, multi-dimentional with an element of subtlety that makes them more usable!

Jessica said...

Love it!!!! I super love the shades and the shimmery effect. These are so perfect for this season. I will def gonna check on these!

38noodles said...

Glad you like them! They're even better in real life. My crappy camera really could not pick up their sparkly beauty.

Linda said...

ooohhh myyy gawwddd pigment heaven!!! Thank you so much for all the lovely swatches!!! I'm not very fond of pigments... deathly afraid more like it... but it sure looks like a lot of fun!

38noodles said...

It's pretty daunting the very first go, but it's much more user friendly than I had ever envisioned. Can't say whether these set the bar really high, or that pigments in general aren't all that scary to begin with ;)

Lily @ChloeAsh said...

What a comprehensive review with amazing comparison swatches. Thank you for your effort! I suck at using pigments so I don't even try, but they sure look beautiful.

38noodles said...

Thanks Lily!! Before these, I was pretty terrified by the thought of loose pigments that weren't just for adding a little bit of iridescence. I think the THREE ones are slightly more moist than most other 'proper' loose pigments, so it adhered and stayed put on me without the need for primers or sealing gels.